The best bedtime snacks are high in protein, fiber, complex carbs, minerals, and the amino acid tryptophan. To ensure a good night’s sleep, be sure to eat a light snack about 90 minutes before your anticipated bedtime.
The best bedtime snacks that help you sleep:
– Cottage cheese and fruit.
– A small serving of salmon and brown rice.
– A bowl of oatmeal with almonds.
– Yogurt, fruit, and wheat germ.
– 6-8 oz container of non-fat, flavored yogurt topped with 2 tablespoons low-fat granola cereal
– Peanut butter on whole grain toast.
– One egg and a piece of whole grain toast.
– A fruit smoothie with protein powder.
– A small bowl of high fiber cereal and milk.
– A handful of raw cashews, peanuts, or other nuts.
– Half an avocado and whole grain chips.
– Half a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread.
– 3 tablespoons of hummus and veggies or a few whole grain chips.
– 2 tablespoons of cashew butter and celery decorated with raisins.
– Rice cakes and cashew or peanut butter.
– Sliced apple with 1-2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
– 3 cups low-fat popcorn – sprinkled with optional 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Bedtime Snacks for Children:
-1/2 cup low-fat vanilla pudding
-1/2 banana with 1-2 teaspoons peanut butter
– One cup skim milk with a bunch of grapes (or other fruit)
The bedtime snack can be an enjoyable habit to get into, as long as you are choosing healthy alternatives that induce slumber without adding calories. If you follow the general rule of eating complex carbohydrates (such as whole grain breads and crackers), with protein containing a high amount of tryptophan (such as low-fat milk, cheese or yogurt), you will be heading in the right direction for the best bedtime snack. The late night munchies will never again rear its head if you are equipped with healthy bedtime snacks that satisfy your hunger cravings and help you get a good night’s rest.
Incoming search terms: